This award was born out of the UAE’s Sports Innovation Lab, under the theme of happiness, health & community, and was overseen by the Vice President, Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai and H.H. Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al-Maktoum, the Crown Prince of Dubai and Chairman of Dubai Sports Council.
The purpose of the programme was therefore to determine and improve schools’ proficiency in:
– Boosting students’ health and well-being and ensuring that participation in sport is considered a lifestyle choice;
– Enabling the school community to acquire healthy behaviors;
– Creating a safe and healthy sporting environment;
– Developing inclusive physical education programs, infrastructure and services; and
– Creating a nurturing atmosphere that encourages participation for all and further develops talented and promising athletes.
In response, Cognition developed a comprehensive process that was robust, without being onerous on the participating schools. Our team supported the development of programme materials (including standards criteria and metrics), facilitated orientation sessions, managed the application process, undertook the data capture, evaluations, school assessment and final feedback reporting. Schools were then able to understand areas of strength as well as areas that could be improved to further enhance their provision in sport, physical education, health and wellbeing.
The programme has been a fantastic success with all schools demonstrating a high standard. The process highlighted some of the superb practice that is currently happening in schools in Dubai in the key areas of health, wellbeing, sport and physical education.